Italgas is a leader in gas distribution, first in Italy and Greece, third in Europe. Thanks to our infrastructures, we play a leading role in the energy transition towards the decarbonisation of the economy and consumption, in line with the European Union’s Green Deal Targets.
We manage over 81,000 km of network with around 8 million active metres and over 8 billion cubic metres of gas distributed each year. Italgas Reti, the Italgas Group's main operating company, operates throughout Italy and holds a concession for gas distribution in over 1,600 municipalities. Innovation is in Italgas’ DNA. We want to continue moving towards new horizons to improve the energy system, playing a leading role in an international scenario of innovation, energy transition and digitization. Italgas’ business plan has given a strong impetus to the digitisation of our network and this commitment will make us the first utility in the world with a fully digitised network.
- About Italgas Innovation: read more here
- About Digital transformation: read more here
- About Ideas4Italgas - innovation platform: read more here
Italgas’ areas of interest in innovative technologies include:
- Analytics and data management: tools and AI solutions for big data analysis that allow us to forecast replacements and condition based maintenance plans specific for gas distribution sector, network flow simulation and estimation of main variables of the gas network (digital twin).
- Gas analyzer: efficient, multipurpose and compact instruments to be able to detect different gases like: methane and odorants (e.g. Tetrahydrothiophene THT or mercaptan blend TBM), renewable gases included mainly biomethane, synthetic methane and hydrogen.
- New materials and processes: pipes and risers relining techniques, pipes repair materials, innovative piping systems (materials, connection), digging and laying process, no dig solution like boring machines.
- Network Wide Monitoring: inspection of risers and pipes, asset and pipes monitoring and tracking, methane leak detection, 3D asset mapping using ground penetrating radar and LiDAR and tool for the design and planning of new assets.
- Sustainability and Energy Management: electric, gas and renewable heating systems for gas preheating process (e.g. boilers, heat pumps, cogenerators, thermal storage solution), digging material disposal and recycling, gas flow energy harvesting solutions (eg. turboexpander, microturbines)
Apply now to this challenge and automatically qualify for all our 2023 Challenges. One application, multiple opportunities. Applications close July 31st.
(*) An Engagement Package consists of constructive feedback and the possibility to explore a pilot or commercial collaboration.
For more details, please read the full Call for Solutions.